Today I thought we would quickly discuss what Cooper & O’Hara brings to a business meeting – Ad Agencies, Architects, Direct Clients, etc. It is something we are fairly new to, but have been doing a lot lately. The last thing you want to do is go in feeling unprepared. That’s why I will start by saying that the best way to prepare is do your research. Try to research who you are meeting with to have an understanding of what you are walking into. When you are in a meeting you want to be asking questions and allowing the other person to do most of the talking, with you genuinely listening, not just waiting to pitch at them. After you have done your research you need to pack your bag.. below is a list of what we bring with us.
1) Print Portfolio- The print portfolio is essential to what we do. People enjoy something physical they can touch and look through. It becomes a more personal experience. It also shows your commitment to your craft. Finally, a significant amount of work still goes to print and it is important to show that your work will hold up in that medium.
2) iPad Portfolio- We also bring a digital portfolio with us incase more than one person is in the meeting. This way people can be looking at their own copy at their own leisure. Another great thing about the iPad is that it allows us to bring more up-to-date work that is not in our print portfolio. We can showcase images from side projects such as our Everything Edmonton project, or our self-promotion pieces. We find that these pieces of work usually generate more interest and conversation than normal work would because it has a story to it.
3) Pen and notebook- Having a pen and notebook with you should just be included in everything you do. The benefits are endless. There are countless moments in a day that need remembering and we have forgotten enough in our lives to know that writing it down is the safest way.
4) business cards- The whole point of a meeting is to leave a positive impression and stay relevant in their mind. A good way to do this is to have a leave behind. The business card is obvious as it leaves behind valuable information such as how to be contacted for work. We also try to leave behind one of our promotional pieces.( Make sure to check out the two heads are better than one post to see our promotional pieces HERE). These promotional pieces are a little more fun and interesting than an everyday business card. They also speak about who we are and what we do.
5) Briefcase,satchel,man purse- whatever you want to call it, you should have it. It only takes watching one Indiana Jones movie to know that everyone should have a proper satchel. If you don’t look good you won’t feel good. No one wants to see you stumble into a meeting and dropping your portfolio and iPad on the ground as you try to kick the door closed with your foot. Do yourself a favor and get a satchel.
Phew, we made it. Thanks for taking the time to listen to what we have to say. As we said before, this is a simple list of what we bring now. I’m sure it will change and progress as we move along. We think it is a good starting place though, and has seemed to work for us. If you have any other interesting things you bring, we’d love to here about it in the comments below.